Let’s be honest, most resolutions have the lifespan of a fruit fly. No, that’s not very long.
I love that we always have the opportunity to create change, not just on New Years Day but everyday! I’m not a big advocate of “resolutions,” mostly because they are synonymous with being broken. I am, however, a huge proponent of making goals that stretch and grow you when accompanied by a plan on how to make that happen.
So while I always have many goals, this year I will renew just one resolution: Be Different.
- When others say “I’ll try,” I will say “I will.”
- When others lie about accomplishments, I will own my failures and grow from them.
- Where others lookout for themselves, I will put others first.
- When others point blame, I will invite responsibility.
- While others worry about appearing good on the outside, I’ll work on be better on the inside.
- When others hold a grudge, I will forgive.
- When others say “YOLO” (you only live once), I will know that eternity exists.
- While others sleep in on days off, I will set an alarm, get up early, and build my dreams.
- Where others have a sense of entitlement, I will focus on creating value.
- When others tear down others to make themselves feel good, I build others up to make them feel better.
- Where others criticize, I will compliment.
- When others talk about other people, I will focus on ideas.
- When others are afraid to fail, I will be afraid not to try.
I think that if I focus on those things, that I will be successful in all my personal and professional goals. If not, then at least I’ll be interesting along the journey!
As I was thinking about this topic I happened to find and was inspired by this great infographic on Success Indicators taught by MaryEllen Tribby, which helped reinforce the message. Check it out!
Your turn – How will you Be Different this year?
Happy New Year,